Thursday, May 01, 2008

Random thoughts about groceries

~ For breakfast this morning d ate half a banana and half a bagel with cream cheese and a handful of cheerios and one link of sausage.
O ate 1.5 bananas, 3 links of sausage and 2 handfuls of cheerios.
I ate a bagel.
D ate nothing.
What will breakfast look like when they are teenagers?

~ I bought 15 bananas on Friday. O ate the last one yesterday and D went to the store and bought 15 more. Of those 15 bananas, 3 were consumed by the adults in this house and 12 were consumed by the children.

~ I bought a carton of strawberries and a bag of grapes on Friday as well. D had to buy more of each yesterday.

~ O typically eats twice as much as d even though he's 2 years younger. He's also 4 lbs larger than d was at this age. I love that he will still try anything.

~ d could survive on milk and goldfish. He tries.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We go through a lot of fruit in our house, too. We all like it. I've started getting most of our fruit at Costco. It's such a good value for lager amounts. Not sure if you have Costcos where you are, tho...

Jess said...

Wow. Your kids must be so healthy and chock full of vitamins and potassium!

jen said...

Yep, we go through bananas like water. It's not unusual for D to have 3-4 in a day, and that's with me limiting them! They can also devour an entire cantaloupe in 2 minutes flat. Better pull your hand back quick! :)

Misty said...

Mmmmm, cantaloupe. Brother can eat an entire melon by himself. Jelly Bean had four (Count 'em FOUR)5-inch pancakes for breakfast. I gotta start growing more stuff in the garden by the time they are in their teens or the produce costs alone will keep us out of retirement.

Julia said...

I'm glad I'm not alone in being eaten out of bananas! I buy tons of bananas every week! And they just went up 16 cents a pound!! yikes!

One of my three year olds would eat 3 for breakfast, every morning if I'd let him!!

Yes, I'm soo afraid of the grocery bill when my two boys are teenagers!!!

Anonymous said...

My boys are 10yrs old and 17yrs old and in our house everything gets eaten almost the same day that I go grocery shopping!! I used to just go once a week and now it is probably every other day or sometimes every day. I have seriously thought of getting a cow because we average 5 to 6 gallons of milk a week!! And if I'm lucky I can find it at 2 for $7, but it seems to be staying at $4 to $4.50!!! I complain, but am very lucky my guys will eat anything (no onions or shrimp for my yougest he just can't stand them...which is okay, just more for me!!).

the planet of janet said...

funny. if i buy 3 bananas, they are eaten in a flash. if i buy 5 (or even 4), they languish until they turn black and gross.

can't seem to get it right.

Mommy Daisy said...

Ugh, I have a good eater too. While I love that he isn' picky, I already worry about what I'll do with him as a teenager. I remember what my husband ate as a teen. I don't know where he put it! And I know we'll have that happen. And right now I've only got one boy. Yikes, you might be in trouble. ;)

Sarah said...

Kids seem to be one extreme or the other- wolfing down everything, like bottomless pits, or ridiculously picky and constantly distracted from eating by ANYTHING that looks more fun than chewing and swallowing. I am blessed with one of each. Today at lunch Eli ate half a banana and about five saltines, then nursed, while his sister ate 1/4 a pb and j sandwich and a bag of effing fruit snacks (the ONLY food item I have ever known her to consistently finish.) He's going to outweigh her in no time, at this rate. Hell, he'll probably EAT her if we don't watch him.

Swistle said...

I am not thinking about groceries, I am thinking that it is MAY now! The due month!

Anonymous said...

God gave me girls and they don't eat near that much! Thank goodness! P usually eats a small bowl of cereal. R eats same. She eats just a lil more than p! She is a fatty! We do go through 2 gallons of milk a wk. We started getting p juice boxes because I don't want to get 3 gallons! K. Trowbridge!

Poptart said...

I would think that all those bananas would cause some plumbing issues...